That Old man

   I don't know if anyone of you has ever faced this situation in your life. But I have. And I am being nothing but truthful.

   The old man was trailing me for some time now. It was getting awkward. So, I quickened my steps, trying to loose him. I finally did.

   I stopped at a vendor for a glass of juice. While I waited, to my surprise, the old man appeared out of nowhere, bearded and wearing shabby clothes and holding a walking stick in his hand. He started gesturing with his right hand, wanting something to eat. I ignored him, but kept looking at him through the corner of my eye.  It was a public place. People were miling around. A few more people stopped by the juice stall. All this time, the old man stood there, repeatedly pointing his joined fingers towards his mouth and kept bobbing his head. It was getting so uncomfortable for me. I just wanted to finish my juice and get out of there. At last, my glass of juice arrived. Usually, I savour its taste, taking it sip by sip but this time I just guzzled it in one go.

   I felt the old man's eyes on me. I looked at him and saw the pleading in his eyes. My insides squirmed. I didn't dare look at him again. Without uttering a word, I motioned the vendor to prepare another glass and give it to the old man. I didn't wait to see if he did. He just wore an appreciating smile while I paid the money and left.

   I felt an urge to look back and see if the old man got his drink, whether he liked it. But I didn't look back. Because doing that would have been like appreciating myself for doing a good deed. It might have seemed like one from the outside but it definitely wasn't. There was no compassion here. Deep, deep down my heart knew whatever I did was out of sheer embarrassment.

   Does this make me a bad person?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LIFE AND LIES #51 | The Three Sons

LIFE AND LIES #17 | Fancy a Haircut

LIFE AND LIES #49 | √2 is irrational