Skip to main content

LIFE AND LIES #77 | The English Teacher

When we are young, the world is full of possibilities. We can do anything, and become anything. We antagonise anyone who even hints at thinking otherwise about us. It's probably why most of us have a story to tell where the villain was a school teacher. Even I do.

I don’t remember exactly how I ended up in the Headmaster’s cabin that day. All I remember is that back then I blamed my House Master for it. It wasn’t just me who had bunked the STD XII Pre-Board exams. There were many. But he made a scapegoat out of me. And the moment, I set foot inside the cabin, I received a big slap from the Headmaster. My ears rang. But that wasn’t the worst thing that happened that day. The Headmaster instructed him to call my father.

Tell him to come or his son would be rusticated.

I wasn’t a notorious student. I was good in my studies and had no disciplinary complaints against me. Had this incident not occurred, I would have completed my schooling in a few months with a clean record. My father didn’t deserve this. I studied in a military school, 120 kilometres away from home. Still, he managed to reach the school the next morning, not by bus as he usually did, but on a bike with a friend. Such was his urgency.

And there I was, once again, standing in the Headmaster’s cabin, trying very hard to be swallowed by the ground beneath me. But it didn’t work. I stood there while my father apologised for my fault. My father thought the world of me as a son, but then he had to listen to what the Headmaster had to say about me.

Your son will never achieve anything in life.

It was the most humiliating experience of my life. But I did not feel a hint of remorse. Instead, I was seething with anger, but not at the Headmaster. For him, it was business as usual. I was pissed at my House Master. He could have easily saved me from all this. At that moment, I resolved that one day, after achieving something great in life, I’d return to school and meet him. “Show him” was the phrase commonly used by my peers back then.

The school organised an Alumni Meet every year, but I never went. The moment never felt right, be it my Graduation or MBA years or even after I got a job. But last year, I returned to school after 12 years. I had just published my first book – a collection of poems and short stories in English. There could not have been a better moment to return to the same place where my dream of becoming a writer began. If I could meet my teenage self, he would have applauded me for my achievement, and told me that I was finally ready to “show him”.

However, just as most people never meet their heroes, some people never meet their villains. I found out that my House Master was no more. He had passed away sometime back because of COVID. It made me realise how inconsequential all of it was. A teenager thought that the world revolved around him. It didn’t. The man wasn’t just my House Master, but a husband and father too. Come to think of it, even during my school days, he was nothing short of a legend. An alumnus of the school, he had cleared NDA and even spent a year there. But he had left behind everything to marry the love of his life and returned to the same school he had passed out of to become a teacher. Before becoming my House Master, he was my English Teacher for five years.

I remember him delivering a speech on our Farewell night. Despite my anger at him, I liked some things he said: "In all my years spent in this school, I have seen a lot of old students visiting. But they are mostly Commanders and Colonels. But I’m saying this to you. It doesn't matter what you end up doing in your life. This school is yours. Do visit."

Then at the end of the ceremony, while he was handing over mementos to everyone, he addressed me directly. It wasn't exactly an apology. He put his hand on my shoulder and said, "I hope everything is alright between us."

Yes, Sir. It is.

***

Liked what you read? Leave a comment.

Comments

  1. Being from the same school, taught by the same teachers and having known you for more than two decades now, I relate to almost all your writings and I can tell you that you have achieved a great height of success. Also, your emotions are clearly visible in the blogs you write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely piece. Keep writing. Keep growing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

LIFE AND LIES #49 | √2 is irrational

Back in school, when we were learning about numbers - whole, natural, integers, rational, irrational, and more, there used to be a mathematical question. Prove that √2 is irrational. I found it very amusing when the teacher announced to the class, the first step of the proof. Assume that √2 is rational. Then came the second step, the mandatory condition that every rational number followed, i.e., it can be written in the form of p/q, in which p and q are co-prime integers and q is not equal to zero. So on went the next steps which I have no recollection of, but in the end, we ended up proving that √2 is irrational. What I am trying to say is that in life, it is the same with people. We often meet people who don't come across as rational beings given their first impression. But we shouldn't carry on with that. Try the other route. Why not, to begin with, we can assume even the most irrational people as rational only. Then follow the steps to find if our starting assumption was va

LIFE AND LIES #17 | Fancy a Haircut

Snip-snip, clip-clip Despite its monotonicity, the sound has a certain ring to it. If I concentrate a bit harder, it almost sounds like a well-placed tune. Or maybe I have been listening to it for too long. Nevertheless, the sound has a sense of power because it remains upbeat in spite of the consistent murmur. Then it pauses. A brief silence follows. The boy at the start of the line scuttles to the most demanded chair in the room, to fill the momentous vacancy. A sense of relief is evident on his face. Following this, a wave ripples throughout the line. Everyone takes a few steps ahead and then comes to a stop. Another down, three more to go , I count. The snapping of scissors resumes. The murmur follows suit. My legs ache. I had jogged all the way to the barbershop, after taking a hasty lunch. There, to my dismay, a long queue was already in place. Patiently, I stood at the end. Awaiting my turn, I had spent the past hours shifting my weight from one leg to other, taking se

LIFE AND LIES #67 | The Shortest Story

Dedicated to a friend of mine who is no longer in this world. ********************************* A friend had died. Still, the world  Hadn't come to a stop. Perhaps, it should have. Because I gave my presentation Smiling from ear to ear. And later at night, I drank to my fill To honour him. Because life is too fricking short, But at times, Feels too bloody long. If you google 'Shortest Short Story' You'll get the following result: "For sale: Baby shoes, never worn." Popularly attributed to Ernest Hemingway. Ernest, I'm sorry  But I ended up writing  Something similar myself. "Hang in there, my friend. He did." I'm not proud of what I wrote.  It is what it is. "Who is this about," my friend asked after reading my poem. "He was my batchmate in school," I replied. "He committed suicide yesterday by hanging." "Why? What happened?" "Nobody knows. He had cut himself off from everyone." "Was he i