Skip to main content

Whispers and Words #3 | The Trailing Traffic

***
The meter is stuck.
I'm traveling miles
Still not moving ahead.

The brakes don't work.
A speed breaker sends me flying
Into a vault of old memories.

I had come of age.
So I had to give up
My fear of the road.

Travelling all the roads together,
The thrill of the ride
Eventually replaced the fear.

Then, without noticing,
The license plate wore out and
The gentle ride turned bumpy.

The rearview mirrors droop low now,
No longer reflecting her face,
Just the trailing traffic.

***

This poem is dedicated to the scooty I grew up with. Like everything else in life, it was once new and bursting with energy. Its condition has worsened now, not very different from human relationships.


Have you had a similar experience?
Leave your thoughts in the comments below.



Comments

  1. I have no words to describe how this poetry touched my heart... it instantly reminded me of my Abba’s first bike – the Super Splendor. It's been over 20 years, but that bike still holds a piece of my childhood, a piece of my soul. You won’t understand the feeling unless you’ve lived it… that bike wasn’t just a vehicle, it was an emotion – a companion of our journey, our laughter, and even our little accidents.

    I still remember how I used to sit on the fuel tank while Abba took me to school. My teachers used to lovingly tease me, calling me “tanki wali beti.” I felt special. It was our little ritual — the tank, my throne, and Abba, my superhero. That bike had magic. The market rides, the bumpy shortcuts, the street-side snacks — it was more than a ride, it was a memory machine.

    One memory that makes me laugh even today — once we fell into a coal dump while riding. My little sister was just 4 years old and was sleeping in front. She woke up covered in coal, from head to toe — like a little black ghost! But surprisingly, no one got hurt. Instead, we all laughed like crazy. That bike had the power to turn even accidents into joy.

    And the most beautiful part? My Abba had written my name — *Kashish* — on the bike. Maybe because I was his favourite child... or maybe because I was just always with him. That small gesture made me feel like the princess of his world. That bike didn’t just carry us, it carried love, memories, and childhood dreams.

    Even today, when I close my eyes, I can feel the wind on my face, the smell of petrol, and the warmth of Abba’s back as I held him tight. That bike… it wasn’t just metal and wheels. It was love in motion.



    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Whispers and Words #22 | The Red Letterbox

A day before my vacation came to an end, while I readied my luggage, already occupied mostly with the snacks prepared by my mother, my father had only one thing to add - a stack of postcards, along with an instruction to drop one in the letterbox every week, during my time in school. I used to be a dutiful son in my childhood days. I did as I was asked. Every Sunday evening, I took a stroll on my own, carrying a written postcard. Where the road from the hostel turned towards our classrooms, there was a huge tree, and attached to its massive trunk was a red letterbox. It was cylindrical and had two openings at the front side. The top opening had a flap that swiveled back on a gentle push, allowing me to drop the postcard. The bottom opening had a small door with a tiny lock on it. There was a certain kind of mystery associated with the entire thing - from the moment the postcard dropped with a hollow sound in the box to the moment it was delivered to my home. I never got to see the post...

LIFE AND LIES #57 | Neil Nitin Mukesh (#2)

"Krishna is a married man but he's always revered along with Radha, his lover. What if... say Rukmani, said to Krishna one day, that she'd rather be Radha?"  Nitin uttered his thought out loud then looked around the room. While the others had stopped long back, Neil was pouring himself another drink. Only he could drink so much on a Sunday night, because unlike the others, his Monday had been declared a Bank holiday. It was Mukesh who was sober enough to reply to his question. "Radha spent her years in sadness longing for Krishna. Rukmani would not want to be in her place." "What if...'' smiled Nitin. He always placed the actual question he wanted to ask as the second question. "One day, after reading my work, my wife says to me that she'd rather be one of the women I write about so passionately." "The women you choose to write about are also inherently sad," Mukesh was quick with a reply. "Ask your wife then, would ...

LIFE AND LIES #77 | The English Teacher

When we are young, the world is full of possibilities. We can do anything, and become anything. We antagonise anyone who even hints at thinking otherwise about us. It's probably why most of us have a story to tell where the villain was a school teacher. Even I do. I don’t remember exactly how I ended up in the Headmaster’s cabin that day. All I remember is that back then I blamed my House Master for it. It wasn’t just me who had bunked the STD XII Pre-Board exams. There were many. But he made a scapegoat out of me. And the moment, I set foot inside the cabin, I received a big slap from the Headmaster. My ears rang. But that wasn’t the worst thing that happened that day. The Headmaster instructed him to call my father. Tell him to come or his son would be rusticated. I wasn’t a notorious student. I was good in my studies and had no disciplinary complaints against me. Had this incident not occurred, I would have completed my schooling in a few months with a clean record. My fat...