Skip to main content

Whispers and Words #4 | A Fair Exchange

***

The snow-covered peak
Was well within my sight
When a girl smoking a cigarette
Caught my wandering eye.

Can you spare one for me, I asked.
Sure, but I don't have a lighter, she replied.

A girl with cigarettes, but no lighter,
Foolish, but she had the spirit of a fighter,
I had left my entire group behind,
Well, everyone except her.

Like an incorrigible addict
Looking for a fix, there I was,
Bothering random passers-by
Until I successfully borrowed a lighter.

What do I get in return for the cigarette, she asked.
And without waiting for my reply,
You have to click my picture, she said.
Can I read you my poem instead, I replied.
If you like it, you can give me a cigarette.
If you don't, I'll be on my way.

And so we went all the way to the summit,
Bugging strangers for a lighter.
She had enough cigarettes.
And I had written enough poems.

***

After reading the above poem, an obvious question would pop up in your mind about the girl as well as the cigarettes, considering I do write poems. I won't answer that question. Instead, I'll ask you a question myself. Did J K Rowling hang out with witches and wizards to get the inspiration for writing Harry Potter?

Whatever you believe, this is just a poem. If it made you smile, my job is done. There is nothing more to it.

Leave your thoughts in the comments below.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whispers and Words #22 | The Red Letterbox

A day before my vacation came to an end, while I readied my luggage, already occupied mostly with the snacks prepared by my mother, my father had only one thing to add - a stack of postcards, along with an instruction to drop one in the letterbox every week, during my time in school. I used to be a dutiful son in my childhood days. I did as I was asked. Every Sunday evening, I took a stroll on my own, carrying a written postcard. Where the road from the hostel turned towards our classrooms, there was a huge tree, and attached to its massive trunk was a red letterbox. It was cylindrical and had two openings at the front side. The top opening had a flap that swiveled back on a gentle push, allowing me to drop the postcard. The bottom opening had a small door with a tiny lock on it. There was a certain kind of mystery associated with the entire thing - from the moment the postcard dropped with a hollow sound in the box to the moment it was delivered to my home. I never got to see the post...

LIFE AND LIES #57 | Neil Nitin Mukesh (#2)

"Krishna is a married man but he's always revered along with Radha, his lover. What if... say Rukmani, said to Krishna one day, that she'd rather be Radha?"  Nitin uttered his thought out loud then looked around the room. While the others had stopped long back, Neil was pouring himself another drink. Only he could drink so much on a Sunday night, because unlike the others, his Monday had been declared a Bank holiday. It was Mukesh who was sober enough to reply to his question. "Radha spent her years in sadness longing for Krishna. Rukmani would not want to be in her place." "What if...'' smiled Nitin. He always placed the actual question he wanted to ask as the second question. "One day, after reading my work, my wife says to me that she'd rather be one of the women I write about so passionately." "The women you choose to write about are also inherently sad," Mukesh was quick with a reply. "Ask your wife then, would ...

LIFE AND LIES #77 | The English Teacher

When we are young, the world is full of possibilities. We can do anything, and become anything. We antagonise anyone who even hints at thinking otherwise about us. It's probably why most of us have a story to tell where the villain was a school teacher. Even I do. I don’t remember exactly how I ended up in the Headmaster’s cabin that day. All I remember is that back then I blamed my House Master for it. It wasn’t just me who had bunked the STD XII Pre-Board exams. There were many. But he made a scapegoat out of me. And the moment, I set foot inside the cabin, I received a big slap from the Headmaster. My ears rang. But that wasn’t the worst thing that happened that day. The Headmaster instructed him to call my father. Tell him to come or his son would be rusticated. I wasn’t a notorious student. I was good in my studies and had no disciplinary complaints against me. Had this incident not occurred, I would have completed my schooling in a few months with a clean record. My fat...