Skip to main content

LIFE AND LIES #76 | Over The Years

For a moment, I was up in the air.

And for a moment, I had travelled back in time.

Back in 2011, I was watching a movie with my friend on a Nokia 5233. Our monthly expense budget didn’t include theatre tickets. But the songs were everywhere. Not a single day went by without hearing the voice of Mohit Chauhan. I had to watch the movie.

“Did it end,” I asked as the end credits rolled out. “The Cyber Café guy must have given us a faulty mp4 file.”

“Whatever,” my friend replied. “I didn’t like the movie.”

“What are you talking about? It’s one of the best Bollywood movies I have ever seen.”

“Really,” my friend was surprised at my reaction. “This movie was about lust… and obsession.”

I was thinking of contradicting him when I noticed the chemistry textbook lying nearby. We were studying for the upcoming test when we thought of watching the movie. I picked up the book and rushed through some pages until I reached the one I needed.

“See, substrate and enzyme,” I showed it to my friend who looked confused. I explained further. “They work as lock and key. One cannot fit with another. Sometimes, the same happens with people. Two people share a unique combination. Space left vacant by a certain someone cannot be filled by someone else.”

“Woah, man,” my friend replied with enthusiasm. “You should become a writer. Chuck engineering.”

Fast forward to 2016. Another city. Another friend.

“Are you sure you don’t want to come? Mohit Chauhan is performing in our college. I know he’s your favourite.”

“No, I can’t,” I replied. “I told you. IIFT entrance test. Next Sunday.”

“It’s just a few hours.”

“I can’t. I have made a promise to myself.”

“Fine! Suit yourself. Don’t regret it later.”

The moment was over. I was no longer in the air. My friends had put me down. Back to the present. 2017.

But what I was witnessing was nothing less than a dream. As it turned out, I didn’t have to regret it like my friend had cautioned me. Mohit Chauhan was performing on stage right before my eyes, in IIFT where I was studying. I would have been out of words but my recent CAT preparation had helped me build quite a vocabulary. The word was ‘serendipity.’

And now it’s 2024. And my birthday.

I have taken leave from work. No big plans, just a movie. I no longer have to worry about the price of a movie ticket.

After 13 years, they have rereleased Rockstar in theatres.

***
Liked what you read? Leave a comment.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LIFE AND LIES #49 | √2 is irrational

Back in school, when we were learning about numbers - whole, natural, integers, rational, irrational, and more, there used to be a mathematical question. Prove that √2 is irrational. I found it very amusing when the teacher announced to the class, the first step of the proof. Assume that √2 is rational. Then came the second step, the mandatory condition that every rational number followed, i.e., it can be written in the form of p/q, in which p and q are co-prime integers and q is not equal to zero. So on went the next steps which I have no recollection of, but in the end, we ended up proving that √2 is irrational. What I am trying to say is that in life, it is the same with people. We often meet people who don't come across as rational beings given their first impression. But we shouldn't carry on with that. Try the other route. Why not, to begin with, we can assume even the most irrational people as rational only. Then follow the steps to find if our starting assumption was va

LIFE AND LIES #17 | Fancy a Haircut

Snip-snip, clip-clip Despite its monotonicity, the sound has a certain ring to it. If I concentrate a bit harder, it almost sounds like a well-placed tune. Or maybe I have been listening to it for too long. Nevertheless, the sound has a sense of power because it remains upbeat in spite of the consistent murmur. Then it pauses. A brief silence follows. The boy at the start of the line scuttles to the most demanded chair in the room, to fill the momentous vacancy. A sense of relief is evident on his face. Following this, a wave ripples throughout the line. Everyone takes a few steps ahead and then comes to a stop. Another down, three more to go , I count. The snapping of scissors resumes. The murmur follows suit. My legs ache. I had jogged all the way to the barbershop, after taking a hasty lunch. There, to my dismay, a long queue was already in place. Patiently, I stood at the end. Awaiting my turn, I had spent the past hours shifting my weight from one leg to other, taking se

LIFE AND LIES #67 | The Shortest Story

Dedicated to a friend of mine who is no longer in this world. ********************************* A friend had died. Still, the world  Hadn't come to a stop. Perhaps, it should have. Because I gave my presentation Smiling from ear to ear. And later at night, I drank to my fill To honour him. Because life is too fricking short, But at times, Feels too bloody long. If you google 'Shortest Short Story' You'll get the following result: "For sale: Baby shoes, never worn." Popularly attributed to Ernest Hemingway. Ernest, I'm sorry  But I ended up writing  Something similar myself. "Hang in there, my friend. He did." I'm not proud of what I wrote.  It is what it is. "Who is this about," my friend asked after reading my poem. "He was my batchmate in school," I replied. "He committed suicide yesterday by hanging." "Why? What happened?" "Nobody knows. He had cut himself off from everyone." "Was he i