LIFE AND LIES #56 | Somnath and Mishti

Vishal wasn't very athletic but he was running at the highest speed he could muster. The street was narrow and engulfed in darkness. And there were people close at his heels, chasing him - them. Up ahead, in the distance, he saw a shimmering light. His head grew heavy and his sight grew dim, he had to stop and fight. The narrow street opened to steps leading down the riverbank. Vishal stopped and turned around, readying himself for the ultimate sacrifice while his friend ran away with the love of his life.

"Are you alright?" Vishal came back to present and found Somnath standing beside him wearing a blue sherwani. Or was it a kurta?

"I'm fine," replied Vishal. He actually wasn't. He was inebriated. But it was a celebratory drunkenness. The Sangeet event had just come to an end and his friend, Somnath was getting married the next day. He wrapped him in a hug and said, "You have disappointed me, you know."

"Ok... how," questioned Somnath.

"See, you met the girl you wanted to marry back in high school. How many people are able to do that? Your story was supposed to be the interesting one. Like, the two of you don't get accepted by each other's families. So, you decide to elope. I come along to help you as the supportive friend. We are chased by your families. And like it happens in the movies, the hero ends up with the girl while his friend who has nothing to gain out of the whole situation gets beaten up. Your story arc had so much potential. Instead, you turned it into a boring one. You studied hard, got yourself into a good college then a nice well paying job and then got your girl."

"You're rambling," said Somnath.

"I know. I know," Vishal smiled. "Tell you what, on second thought, I like your story better than DDLJ. I get it, you know. You and Mishti."

"Care to elaborate?"

"Too drunk to explain but it has a parallel with Ganga Maiya and her flow in Varanasi. Her course is different here. So are you, I guess, when Mishti is around. Like you don't want the world to become aware of the secret recipe of your relationship."

"Ok... that sounds poignant, but you are still rambling."

"Fine! On a serious note, I'm going to say something really personal. Might boost your ego, but still, I'll say it. I seldom get happy for other people. Call me self-centred, indifferent or whatever. I definitely try. But as of this moment right now, I don't have to try to be happy for you. I know I am."

"Nice try," said Somnath. "A for effort. But I'm still not going to cry. Now, go and sleep. Otherwise, you'll miss the wedding. I'm going to sleep too. Otherwise, I'll miss the wedding. And your fantasy of me being chased by my in-laws will definitely come true."

A big hug followed and the night closed in.

***
Liked reading it? Leave a comment.

Also, the above is a prequel to LIFE AND LIES #25 | Varuna and Assi - Click to read


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LIFE AND LIES #51 | The Three Sons

LIFE AND LIES #17 | Fancy a Haircut

LIFE AND LIES #49 | √2 is irrational