LIFE AND LIES #6 | Over the Horizon

AIR

Don't say it!

“Actually...” I begin to speak, making an innocent face. I pause, seeming to hesitate. It works all the time.

No, don't say it!

“It's my first time.”

It's not. You're lying.

“Can I have the window seat?”

You're going to burn in hell.

My subconscious takes a back seat as the middle-aged man shifts to my seat and I take the one by the window.

The plane slowly makes its way to the runaway. It takes a slow left turn. A brief pause when it flexes its muscles, its flaps, gearing up for the run. Then, it slowly breaks into speed.

My headphones are plugged in. I have to time it right. The music builds up as the Airbus gains speed. And just as it lifts its nose up, leaving the ground, the lyrics come up.

I LOVE THE FEELING WHEN WE LIFT OFF

I relish the sunken feeling in my stomach as the world slowly shrinks below me.

WATCHING THE WORLD SO SMALL BELOW

After an hour of flying over the clouds, the plane is descending now. The horizon comes into view as it flies over open waters. Then the plane changes direction and the horizon tilts. I am blinded by the sudden glare of the Sun.

Out opens a wonderful view. Covered in a haze, appears an irregular seashore and tall buildings scattered throughout the city of dreams.

Or what my friend likes to call, 'Income disparity landscape'.

LAND

It's a small climb uphill before the scenery comes into view. The sea stretches far and beyond from left to right; its waves lapping at the rocks at the bottom of the cliff and dancing back and forth on the beach that lies towards the left. Straight up ahead, the Sun hangs close to the horizon. Here on the cliff and there on the beach, people have gathered to witness a spectacle that takes place every day, a Sunset.

I, however, get distracted by something else altogether.

A rock juts out of the open ocean. Behind it lays the shore and ahead lays the open ocean. It appears as if the rock had started the journey from the shore with full measure but as it waded deeper into the sea, it got discouraged by the immensity of the open waters. And now, it’s stuck, too afraid to venture into the unknown sea and at the same time, too ashamed to go back and start anew.

I wonder if anyone else has his eye on the rock.

Like the others around, I return my due focus to the Sun. Glowing red, it follows its routine tentatively, sinking lower and lower until it's swallowed by a greyish haze, never actually making it to the horizon.

WATER

I swim into the wide-open arms of the ocean, freestyle. The horizon shimmers; a Sun overhead, a thousand in the waters. I am not athletic. My arms ache after a while. Still, I go on. A voice calls my name over the roar of the waves. I pay it no heed.

Next, I see a huge wave approach. It thrashes me, sending me underwater. I throw my limbs around but my legs can't find the seafloor. I gasp for breath. Gathering all my effort, I push upward. At last, I break the surface. I look around.

Come too far from the shore 

Swaying to the rhythm of the waves

There I find

In spite of the churning sea

The horizon stays flat

And there I see

Four men in a boat

Adrift in the sea

Of what was

What is;

And what could be.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LIFE AND LIES #51 | The Three Sons

LIFE AND LIES #17 | Fancy a Haircut

LIFE AND LIES #49 | √2 is irrational