LIFE AND LIES #4 | Grown and Gone

The dimly lit open space is filled with cheering and clapping. Before long, the first chord is struck. It echoes across the open space. A small halo of light appears at the centre, growing bigger. The applause intensifies. 

He's there. He's not. All at the same time. Away from the light, he waits for his compatriot to finish his verse. Then he steps into the light. His overpowering voice fills the open space while continuing his magic with the six strings for the thousandth time. 

The lights change. The words vanish. Left behind is a silhouette of a man. And his guitar, of which every note echoes across the open space that is now flooded with dancing green lines. And there holding his heart in his hand, floating amidst a cloud of effervescence, he strums away.

Excuse me, Sir!

I am scared out of my chair. It's the office boy. He's taken aback too, I notice. I immediately look at my watch. It's 8 PM. The office is empty. Only a few lights remain. Not that I've got a lot of work left to do, but once again, I'm the last one to leave. The office boy is familiar with this. Still, he must have waited a while before approaching me.

On the way to my flat, I make a stop by my favourite Momo place. It serves the best Chilli Momo I've ever eaten. But it takes a lot of time to prepare. To pass the time, I involuntarily take out my mobile. Just then, the song resumes on its own attracting the attention of the people around. This new face-lock thing needs some getting used to. I plug in my earphones. The song continues.

I don't know a lot about rock music. But I understand words. I have perused through the lyrics of many a song and all I have found is childhood nostalgia. Because no matter what we do or achieve, we always look back, to revisit old friendships or to grieve over unfulfilled dreams. 

It's coming up. My favourite part of the song. I have already gotten goosebumps in anticipation.

The child is grown.
The dream is gone.
And I have become comfortably numb.

***



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

LIFE AND LIES #51 | The Three Sons

LIFE AND LIES #17 | Fancy a Haircut

LIFE AND LIES #49 | √2 is irrational