Skip to main content

Remembering Severus Snape!!

   What's wrong, my mother asked. She must have noticed something off in my voice. So, I tried my best to bring out my normal voice and replied, nothing, why!?

   She didn't persist. We went about our usual talk on the phone; how was I, how was my day, did I have my dinner etc. But after a while, she asked again, what's wrong; this time she persisted.

   Remember, Harry Potter?

   Hmm, what about it!

   One of the actors died.

   Who? Hermione? My mother is not a Harry Potter enthusiast but she tries to keep up with her son's interests.

   No, Snape.

   Ohh!! That bad teacher. Normally, I enter into a debate with whosoever makes a bad remark about Snape. But, my mother hardly knew what she was talking about.

   Wow, son!! She said after a pause. You are grieving for a person you didn't even know. I wonder what you will do after my death.

   MAA!!

   She started laughing.

   I'll talk to you tomorrow after you...... But eat your dinner. She hung up.
‪
   I was shocked when I heard the news. I didn't even know he was 69; he looked very young to me in the Potter movies. And to be honest, I haven't seen his other movies. To me he was just Severus Snape. Harry Potter‬ will never be the same again for me without him.
‪
   Alan Rickman made my favourite book character come alive, by being exactly the same person as I had imagined while reading the books. Snape made me realise that no matter what bad deeds you did, you always have the capacity to do good in the world. You just need one reason strong enough to pull you to the brighter side. While people term it as an obsession, I feel otherwise. What Snape had for Lily was pure love which grew stronger even after her death. And abstaining yourself from everything and focussing on just one sole purpose in memory of someone you loved but never had, that's something I can't help but admire.

   Also, in the end, Snape made being Slytherin look good. And I'll just go forth and say it: I'm proud to be a ‪#‎Slytherin‬.

   I wish Snape has a nice time up there with his pal Dumbledore a.k.a Richard Harris. After all, to a well organised mind, death is but the next great adventure.

   And whether I come through the pages of the books or through the movies, he'll surely be missed. He may have passed on but he as Snape will forever remain in my heart.

   ‪Rest in Peace,‬ Alan Rickman. You will be remembered.

   ‎Always‬.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whispers and Words #22 | The Red Letterbox

A day before my vacation came to an end, while I readied my luggage, already occupied mostly with the snacks prepared by my mother, my father had only one thing to add - a stack of postcards, along with an instruction to drop one in the letterbox every week, during my time in school. I used to be a dutiful son in my childhood days. I did as I was asked. Every Sunday evening, I took a stroll on my own, carrying a written postcard. Where the road from the hostel turned towards our classrooms, there was a huge tree, and attached to its massive trunk was a red letterbox. It was cylindrical and had two openings at the front side. The top opening had a flap that swiveled back on a gentle push, allowing me to drop the postcard. The bottom opening had a small door with a tiny lock on it. There was a certain kind of mystery associated with the entire thing - from the moment the postcard dropped with a hollow sound in the box to the moment it was delivered to my home. I never got to see the post...

LIFE AND LIES #57 | Neil Nitin Mukesh (#2)

"Krishna is a married man but he's always revered along with Radha, his lover. What if... say Rukmani, said to Krishna one day, that she'd rather be Radha?"  Nitin uttered his thought out loud then looked around the room. While the others had stopped long back, Neil was pouring himself another drink. Only he could drink so much on a Sunday night, because unlike the others, his Monday had been declared a Bank holiday. It was Mukesh who was sober enough to reply to his question. "Radha spent her years in sadness longing for Krishna. Rukmani would not want to be in her place." "What if...'' smiled Nitin. He always placed the actual question he wanted to ask as the second question. "One day, after reading my work, my wife says to me that she'd rather be one of the women I write about so passionately." "The women you choose to write about are also inherently sad," Mukesh was quick with a reply. "Ask your wife then, would ...

LIFE AND LIES #77 | The English Teacher

When we are young, the world is full of possibilities. We can do anything, and become anything. We antagonise anyone who even hints at thinking otherwise about us. It's probably why most of us have a story to tell where the villain was a school teacher. Even I do. I don’t remember exactly how I ended up in the Headmaster’s cabin that day. All I remember is that back then I blamed my House Master for it. It wasn’t just me who had bunked the STD XII Pre-Board exams. There were many. But he made a scapegoat out of me. And the moment, I set foot inside the cabin, I received a big slap from the Headmaster. My ears rang. But that wasn’t the worst thing that happened that day. The Headmaster instructed him to call my father. Tell him to come or his son would be rusticated. I wasn’t a notorious student. I was good in my studies and had no disciplinary complaints against me. Had this incident not occurred, I would have completed my schooling in a few months with a clean record. My fat...