Skip to main content

Whispers and Words #18 | So I Thought

***

I unknowingly uttered
My thoughts out loud,
'Amid this rush of endless scrolls,
Only a handful read poetry,
And even they...
They fail to read the poet.'

My friend was
Quick with a reply,
'It's failure by design.
If you wanted to be truly heard,
You would have a conversation.
You wouldn't write poetry.'

***

I said to her, with a sigh,
'Maybe someday,
I'll love myself
Like you love yourself.'

She replied, with a smile,
'Maybe someday,
The ones who strive to light the world
Won't be immersed in darkness themselves.'

***

"Life sucks."
"Yes, it does."

And just like that,
In a string of conversations,
Life would have come to pass,
Even become a little better along the way.

Or so I thought...

When I cried at her wedding,
It wasn't because of losing her.
I was thinking of another wedding,
I had planned to attend,
But never could and never will.

The silver lining has come loose now.
Wearing a threadbare coat,
I'm rowing a boat,
Staying barely afloat.

Having a conversation makes us human,
But I often wonder if
The things we don't say
Define who we are.
Same holds true for the poems I write,
Something for the readers, while
Reserving a little bit only for myself.

***
Dedicated to love, friendship and everything life throws at us. Did you like it? Leave a comment.

I clicked this picture
in 2019,
at Kudle beach, Gokarna 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whispers and Words #22 | The Red Letterbox

A day before my vacation came to an end, while I readied my luggage, already occupied mostly with the snacks prepared by my mother, my father had only one thing to add - a stack of postcards, along with an instruction to drop one in the letterbox every week, during my time in school. I used to be a dutiful son in my childhood days. I did as I was asked. Every Sunday evening, I took a stroll on my own, carrying a written postcard. Where the road from the hostel turned towards our classrooms, there was a huge tree, and attached to its massive trunk was a red letterbox. It was cylindrical and had two openings at the front side. The top opening had a flap that swiveled back on a gentle push, allowing me to drop the postcard. The bottom opening had a small door with a tiny lock on it. There was a certain kind of mystery associated with the entire thing - from the moment the postcard dropped with a hollow sound in the box to the moment it was delivered to my home. I never got to see the post...

LIFE AND LIES #77 | The English Teacher

When we are young, the world is full of possibilities. We can do anything, and become anything. We antagonise anyone who even hints at thinking otherwise about us. It's probably why most of us have a story to tell where the villain was a school teacher. Even I do. I don’t remember exactly how I ended up in the Headmaster’s cabin that day. All I remember is that back then I blamed my House Master for it. It wasn’t just me who had bunked the STD XII Pre-Board exams. There were many. But he made a scapegoat out of me. And the moment, I set foot inside the cabin, I received a big slap from the Headmaster. My ears rang. But that wasn’t the worst thing that happened that day. The Headmaster instructed him to call my father. Tell him to come or his son would be rusticated. I wasn’t a notorious student. I was good in my studies and had no disciplinary complaints against me. Had this incident not occurred, I would have completed my schooling in a few months with a clean record. My fat...

LIFE AND LIES #57 | Neil Nitin Mukesh (#2)

"Krishna is a married man but he's always revered along with Radha, his lover. What if... say Rukmani, said to Krishna one day, that she'd rather be Radha?"  Nitin uttered his thought out loud then looked around the room. While the others had stopped long back, Neil was pouring himself another drink. Only he could drink so much on a Sunday night, because unlike the others, his Monday had been declared a Bank holiday. It was Mukesh who was sober enough to reply to his question. "Radha spent her years in sadness longing for Krishna. Rukmani would not want to be in her place." "What if...'' smiled Nitin. He always placed the actual question he wanted to ask as the second question. "One day, after reading my work, my wife says to me that she'd rather be one of the women I write about so passionately." "The women you choose to write about are also inherently sad," Mukesh was quick with a reply. "Ask your wife then, would ...