Skip to main content

LIFE AND LIES #33 | Free Trade Agreements

"It's a typo," I interrupt my sister. "Correct it."

She's working from home and I am on leave and have got nothing better to do.

"No, it's not," she replies after pondering for a while.

"Ok, there's no such thing as CECPA," I begin. "It's CEPA - free trade agreement between India and South Korea. Don't you remember? A year ago, I told you that this will be the first thing your interviewers ask you. And then...there's CECA - a free trade agreement between Indian and Malaysia, and I think Singapore also. Anyway, my point is... there is no such thing as CECPA."

"Actually, my dear brother," she smiles. "There is. CECPA is a free trade agreement between India and Mauritius."

I stand there silent for a moment. Didn't I have all the FTAs on the tips of my tongue? Yes, I left college almost four years ago but I did teach all that stuff to my sister, just a year ago.

I go over the acronym again.

CECPA.

Unlike my friend, my first instinct isn't to Google. I rack my brains first. Yes, I trust my memory that much.

"Don't torture yourself," she says when I don't speak for a while. "It was signed this year only. You must not have read about it in college."

"Okay."

Was I supposed to be relieved now?

I look at my sister. She just trumped me at what I considered was my thing. All that without changing an expression. Were I in her place, I would have been doing a victory dance.

Then I realize that she has no comprehension of how far she has come in the past year. Somehow completed her Master's in a hardly known subject during COVID times, with no clue what to do next career-wise, before landing a job in the Global Trade domain, something she had no idea about.

Though I often make fun of her by saying that I made her what she is, I know, in my heart that it's not true. Had it just been an outcome of my efforts, she would not have sucked at Mathematics back in school.

She has just completed one year at her first job. And I am not aware of what her boss thinks of her performance. I know that her school and college friends hardly have any clue about her job, nor do my parents and relatives. Who else is there in her life? If there's a boyfriend, she's definitely doing a good job hiding it from a nosy brother like me.

That leaves me.

So what should I do to tell her that I am really proud of her? She doesn't let me buy anything for her. Apparently, I don't know her taste. A hug then? A pat on the back? No, she thinks it's cringe-worthy.

Ok, I got it.

"Listen," I announce. "Try to save as much as possible since you are working from home. When this COVID thing dies down, we'll take a Euro Trip together."

***

Dedicated to my sister, Ayushi!




Comments

  1. I also want to join that trip 😅

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Whispers and Words #22 | The Red Letterbox

A day before my vacation came to an end, while I readied my luggage, already occupied mostly with the snacks prepared by my mother, my father had only one thing to add - a stack of postcards, along with an instruction to drop one in the letterbox every week, during my time in school. I used to be a dutiful son in my childhood days. I did as I was asked. Every Sunday evening, I took a stroll on my own, carrying a written postcard. Where the road from the hostel turned towards our classrooms, there was a huge tree, and attached to its massive trunk was a red letterbox. It was cylindrical and had two openings at the front side. The top opening had a flap that swiveled back on a gentle push, allowing me to drop the postcard. The bottom opening had a small door with a tiny lock on it. There was a certain kind of mystery associated with the entire thing - from the moment the postcard dropped with a hollow sound in the box to the moment it was delivered to my home. I never got to see the post...

LIFE AND LIES #57 | Neil Nitin Mukesh (#2)

"Krishna is a married man but he's always revered along with Radha, his lover. What if... say Rukmani, said to Krishna one day, that she'd rather be Radha?"  Nitin uttered his thought out loud then looked around the room. While the others had stopped long back, Neil was pouring himself another drink. Only he could drink so much on a Sunday night, because unlike the others, his Monday had been declared a Bank holiday. It was Mukesh who was sober enough to reply to his question. "Radha spent her years in sadness longing for Krishna. Rukmani would not want to be in her place." "What if...'' smiled Nitin. He always placed the actual question he wanted to ask as the second question. "One day, after reading my work, my wife says to me that she'd rather be one of the women I write about so passionately." "The women you choose to write about are also inherently sad," Mukesh was quick with a reply. "Ask your wife then, would ...

LIFE AND LIES #77 | The English Teacher

When we are young, the world is full of possibilities. We can do anything, and become anything. We antagonise anyone who even hints at thinking otherwise about us. It's probably why most of us have a story to tell where the villain was a school teacher. Even I do. I don’t remember exactly how I ended up in the Headmaster’s cabin that day. All I remember is that back then I blamed my House Master for it. It wasn’t just me who had bunked the STD XII Pre-Board exams. There were many. But he made a scapegoat out of me. And the moment, I set foot inside the cabin, I received a big slap from the Headmaster. My ears rang. But that wasn’t the worst thing that happened that day. The Headmaster instructed him to call my father. Tell him to come or his son would be rusticated. I wasn’t a notorious student. I was good in my studies and had no disciplinary complaints against me. Had this incident not occurred, I would have completed my schooling in a few months with a clean record. My fat...