Skip to main content

LIFE AND LIES #9 | Part and Parcel

Come on!
Come on!

I sit behind my nephew, cheering him; whatever purpose it serves in a game of luck.

The circle grows smaller. It has transformed from being a game of passing the parcel to throwing and snatching the parcel.

Nonetheless, I want my nephew to win. The number of children has gone down to 10. His probability to win is rising. Apart from the lady organisers blowing their whistles, I'm the only elderly here. Wait...Elderly. Me... Woah.. didn't see that coming.

The number is down to 5 now. The kid who just got dumped throws away the parcel in anger. One of the ladies rushes to console him.

No matter the game, it's important to win. A lesson, we learn quite early in our lives.

My nephew is playful. Sometimes, he holds the parcel a little too long making the adjacent kid nervous. I nudge him to pass it quickly.

The number is down to 3.

Then to 2. Now, it's just my nephew and a girl.

50% probability.

Boys vs girls, some kid shouts.

The music resumes. The parcel is thrown. It spends most of the time in the air. The two of them treat it like it's something reviling. To and fro, it goes from one end to other.

It's been a while. I anticipate the music to stop anytime now. The girl throws the parcel back at my nephew and the moment it lands in my nephew's hands, the music stops. There's a moment of indecision. The lady organiser ponders for a while. I know my nephew has lost. Still, I wait for the lady's word. She announces what I know already.

Lost to a girl, a group of boys surround my nephew and start teasing him. My nephew runs. They chase him.

The chairs are rearranged for the upcoming game of tombola. Not just for kids, it's for everyone.

I have been standing until now. Now, I wonder where to sit; not amidst the housewives, that's for sure. My eyes wander to the group of working men. Technically, I belong there but I know from experience that they'd bore me to death talking about work the entire time. 

Just then, I find my nephew tugging on my sleeve. He wants me to sit with him. That's settled then. I go with him. His friends welcome me with a chorus of 'Uncle'. I'm still not used to it. 

Later on, not a Fullhouse, but I do win one of the prizes which my nephew brags about to his friends in his own efficient manner.

It's a Sunday well spent.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whispers and Words #22 | The Red Letterbox

A day before my vacation came to an end, while I readied my luggage, already occupied mostly with the snacks prepared by my mother, my father had only one thing to add - a stack of postcards, along with an instruction to drop one in the letterbox every week, during my time in school. I used to be a dutiful son in my childhood days. I did as I was asked. Every Sunday evening, I took a stroll on my own, carrying a written postcard. Where the road from the hostel turned towards our classrooms, there was a huge tree, and attached to its massive trunk was a red letterbox. It was cylindrical and had two openings at the front side. The top opening had a flap that swiveled back on a gentle push, allowing me to drop the postcard. The bottom opening had a small door with a tiny lock on it. There was a certain kind of mystery associated with the entire thing - from the moment the postcard dropped with a hollow sound in the box to the moment it was delivered to my home. I never got to see the post...

LIFE AND LIES #77 | The English Teacher

When we are young, the world is full of possibilities. We can do anything, and become anything. We antagonise anyone who even hints at thinking otherwise about us. It's probably why most of us have a story to tell where the villain was a school teacher. Even I do. I don’t remember exactly how I ended up in the Headmaster’s cabin that day. All I remember is that back then I blamed my House Master for it. It wasn’t just me who had bunked the STD XII Pre-Board exams. There were many. But he made a scapegoat out of me. And the moment, I set foot inside the cabin, I received a big slap from the Headmaster. My ears rang. But that wasn’t the worst thing that happened that day. The Headmaster instructed him to call my father. Tell him to come or his son would be rusticated. I wasn’t a notorious student. I was good in my studies and had no disciplinary complaints against me. Had this incident not occurred, I would have completed my schooling in a few months with a clean record. My fat...

LIFE AND LIES #57 | Neil Nitin Mukesh (#2)

"Krishna is a married man but he's always revered along with Radha, his lover. What if... say Rukmani, said to Krishna one day, that she'd rather be Radha?"  Nitin uttered his thought out loud then looked around the room. While the others had stopped long back, Neil was pouring himself another drink. Only he could drink so much on a Sunday night, because unlike the others, his Monday had been declared a Bank holiday. It was Mukesh who was sober enough to reply to his question. "Radha spent her years in sadness longing for Krishna. Rukmani would not want to be in her place." "What if...'' smiled Nitin. He always placed the actual question he wanted to ask as the second question. "One day, after reading my work, my wife says to me that she'd rather be one of the women I write about so passionately." "The women you choose to write about are also inherently sad," Mukesh was quick with a reply. "Ask your wife then, would ...